Cool, creamy, and refreshing, this vegan ice cream is like a tropical vacation in a bowl! The base of coconut cream and coconut milk are heated and then blended with lots of mango and a touch of vanilla to prevent ice crystals so every bite is just as smooth as regular ice cream but without refined sugar (and of course dairy). Feel free to swap out the stevia for Pooh Bears’s favorite treat, honey.
Ingredients: (makes 1.5 quarts)
1 14oz can full fat coconut milk
1 14oz can coconut cream (I like Trader Joe’s brand, or else you will have to refrigerate the can upside down the night before)
Pinch sea salt
4 1/2 cups frozen mango
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6-9 drops pure Stevia extract (or 2-3 tablespoons raw honey), sweeten to taste
Winnie the Pooh Toppings:
1 Fresh mango
Small, sharp knife
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
*All cutting should be done by an adult.
- The chocolate details can be created in advance by melting the chocolate chips and coconut oil over a double boiler until smooth. Allow to cool to about room temperature, and then transfer to either a piping bag or small zip top bag, and pipe the faces onto a piece of wax paper. Allow them to set while you make the ice cream.
- To make the ice cream base, add the coconut milk and coconut cream (just the cream on top, not the liquid) to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer the base to a high powered blender and blend with the mango, vanilla, sweetener of your choice, and sea salt for at least one minute on high (be careful to watch the lid as you are using hot liquid).
- Move the ice cream mixture to a heat proof bowl, cover snugly with plastic wrap (I like to place the wrap so it touches the top of the mixture to prevent a “skin” from forming), and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight to cool.
- When you are ready to make your ice cream transfer to an ice cream machine and churn following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Eat immediately for a soft serve like texture, or place in a freezer safe container, and freeze for at least 2 hours to set into ice cream.
- To turn your scoops into Winnie the Pooh, use a knife (or a small circle cookie cutter) to carefully cut semicircles out of the fresh mango for the ears, add the chocolate details, and enjoy!